Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Orders, Finally!!!

Well, as I mentioned on my last post, I finally got orders. It's not that I don't like Texas, but out of the 50 states in this country, Texas would have to be my... 50th favorite one. It's the armpit of America in my opinion. I can't stand it here. Now, after more than four years of being stuck in this miserable place, I finally get to leave.

Where am I going? Japan! It only took four base assignments for the Air Force to finally give me something I wanted. I have asked for the East Coast of America since I joined up more than 9 years ago, and I have also asked for one of the bases in England or Japan. They sent me to New Mexico instead. They followed that assingment with a 3 year stint in Alaska, which turned out to be good, but still not what I had asked for. Then, after giving every plumber that left Alaska while I was there the base they asked for, they send me to Texas. From the desert, to the tundra, and back to the desert.

Who did I tick off anyway? They had a list of bases where someone of my career field was needed and I picked six of them and put them on my "dream sheet." And what do I get? the number two place on my list of bases I DON'T want to go to. Talk about a bum deal. Now, after being here for four years, they wait until I apply for a special duty assignment and then drop this on me. Yeah, its a place I wanted to go to, but I was the number one choice for the special duty I applied for, and these new orders disqualify me from it. I know I asked to go there, but did they have to wait until I went through all the trouble and paper work to apply for something else?

Anyway, so I am off to Japan. For OPSEC reasons, I am not going to say when I am leaving, just be assured that this is my last Christmas in Texas... hopefully forever.

My father is living in Japan at the moment as well, but not at the same location. I will still be able to visit him regularly because after all, the country of Japan is only about the size of California.

So there you have it. I'm glad to be leaving though, really glad.

1 comment:

Lana said...

I'm glad you're leaving too! lol.